Welcome to the all-new Vetlearn

  • Vetlearn is becoming part of NAVC VetFolio.
    Starting in January 2015, Compendium and
    Veterinary Technician articles will be available on
    NAVC VetFolio. VetFolio subscribers will have
    access to not only the journals, but also:
  • Over 500 hours of CE
  • Community forums to discuss tough cases
    and networking with your peers
  • Three years of select NAVC Conference
    Proceedings
  • Free webinars for the entire healthcare team

To access Vetlearn, you must first sign in or register.

registernow

  Sign up now for:
Become a Member

Reference Desk May 2012

Texas Tech Researchers Discover Antibiotic Residues in Imported Seafood

    Found evidence of three antibiotics in 10% of 30 samples tested

    LUBBOCK, Texas, May 21, 2012—After testing farm-raised shrimp samples of international origin for ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer,” researchers at Texas Tech University found evidence of antibiotics – one a suspected human carcinogen – in seafood imported into the United States and purchased from grocery store shelves.

    Ron Kendall, director of The Institute of Environmental and Human Health (TIEHH) at Texas Tech, said researchers tested only the muscle tissues consumed by people. When concluded, they found that about 10% of the 30 samples tested contained evidence of three antibiotics.

    Though the sample sizes were small, he said finding antibiotic residues at all is cause for concern. Todd Anderson, a professor of environmental toxicology, and instrument manager QingSong Cai conducted the shrimp analyses.

    In the study, researchers discovered the antibiotic nitrofuranzone, a probable carcinogen, in two of the samples purchased in New York – one from a farm in India and the other from Thailand. Both samples were 28 and 29 times higher than the amount allowed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The limit is 1 part per billion.

    “Finding this particular antibiotic is of great interest, especially considering someone could have been eating an item that would have been banned,” Kendall said. “Nitrofuranzone is a genotoxic substance. It can affect the DNA of cells and result in genetic toxicity that can possibly result in cancer. You don’t want to ingest it. That’s why the FDA has adopted a zero tolerance stance with it.”

    The antibiotic chloramphenicol showed up in one sample at 150 times the current FDA required detection limits on prohibited antimicrobial agents in seafood. Trace amounts of enrofloxacin showed up in a sample purchased from a store in Washington, D.C.

    “With chloramphenicol, 45 parts per billion is considerably higher than the .3 parts per billion,” Kendall said. “It’s a very powerful, broad spectrum antibiotic. There is a reason why the U.S. FDA and other countries have set a very low tolerance for this product. You shouldn’t be consuming this.”

    ABC contacted TIEHH to test the shrimp about a year after the U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) raised serious questions about the safety of imported seafood. In their 51-page report, they cited that half of the seafood imported into the U.S. comes from fish farms, and that these animals, when grown in confined areas, may require antibiotics to treat infections.

    The GAO questioned the FDA’s oversight program to check for unapproved drug residues in imported seafood samples and called it limited, especially when compared to programs in the European Union.

    Samples were purchased from grocery stores in New York, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and Los Angeles.

    “These findings were pretty surprising to me,” Kendall said. “Considering someone may walk in to a grocery store to buy shrimp to eat, I think that’s worth further investigation, and more extensive testing should be done. This was a grab-bag sampling, and we reported what we saw. I don’t know yet if it’s a greater problem or a lesser problem, but it should be looked into at this point.”

    Source: Texas Tech University

    didyouknow

    Did you know... One in four pet owners stated that their pets have accidentally ingested a toxic substance.Read More

    Stay on top of all our latest content — sign up for the Vetlearn newsletters.
    • More
    Subscribe